The Cameron Effect......
Over the past few days, I have been visiting numerous political websites, and what strikes me the most is that alot of Conservative members are not actually happy with the way our new leader, David Cameron, is running the newly formed "Modern Conservative" party.
And i can see their point! He has indeed turned over alot of existing Conservative policies and introduced new, more modern policies which many argue to be of the "left-wing" origin. You may or may not like it, but in my opinion, Cameron is playing a very smart game!
He is known by many to be shifting the Conservative party leftwards, and taking us away from traditional Conservative ideologies and bringing us closer to the centre ground of the political spectrum. But is this a wise move? I believe so...
And in saying that, this is not the first time that the Conservative party have moved to the centre ground either. In the 1950's, they cleverly moved leftwards to decrease the competition they had from Labour, hence increasing their support base, which then allowed them later to move politics rightwards again in the 1980's (with Margaret Thatcher as their leader), and this is what I believe Cameron is doing.
He is tactically moving the Conservatives to the centre ground to gain support from both Labour and Liberal voters, and once he's done that, he will bring the country (and the Conservative party) back to a right-wing frame of mind, allowing himself to govern the country under the policies that the Conservatives once stood for. After all, its not difficult to see that Cameron is still a traditional Conservative at heart. I find it hard to believe that he calls himself a "Liberal-Conservative", but yet still supports fox hunting and independance from the European Union. Yes...I may have dis-agreed with him over his support for 24 hour drinking, but in general, I feel he is making the right move to getting the Conservatives back into office. Lets not forget, we have lost the past 3 General Elections in a row by fighting the same old policies over and over again. The Conservatives need a change of strategy, and I feel that Cameron is the man for that duty.
"Would someone please tell Cameron to stick to traditional Conservative values?"-Sam Pritchard
"Cameron is producing results, the Tories are higher in the polls now...and he will deliver the results that Hague and Howard couldn't"-Adam Sanderson
Is Cameron right for Conservatism?
And i can see their point! He has indeed turned over alot of existing Conservative policies and introduced new, more modern policies which many argue to be of the "left-wing" origin. You may or may not like it, but in my opinion, Cameron is playing a very smart game!
He is known by many to be shifting the Conservative party leftwards, and taking us away from traditional Conservative ideologies and bringing us closer to the centre ground of the political spectrum. But is this a wise move? I believe so...
And in saying that, this is not the first time that the Conservative party have moved to the centre ground either. In the 1950's, they cleverly moved leftwards to decrease the competition they had from Labour, hence increasing their support base, which then allowed them later to move politics rightwards again in the 1980's (with Margaret Thatcher as their leader), and this is what I believe Cameron is doing.
He is tactically moving the Conservatives to the centre ground to gain support from both Labour and Liberal voters, and once he's done that, he will bring the country (and the Conservative party) back to a right-wing frame of mind, allowing himself to govern the country under the policies that the Conservatives once stood for. After all, its not difficult to see that Cameron is still a traditional Conservative at heart. I find it hard to believe that he calls himself a "Liberal-Conservative", but yet still supports fox hunting and independance from the European Union. Yes...I may have dis-agreed with him over his support for 24 hour drinking, but in general, I feel he is making the right move to getting the Conservatives back into office. Lets not forget, we have lost the past 3 General Elections in a row by fighting the same old policies over and over again. The Conservatives need a change of strategy, and I feel that Cameron is the man for that duty.
"Would someone please tell Cameron to stick to traditional Conservative values?"-Sam Pritchard
"Cameron is producing results, the Tories are higher in the polls now...and he will deliver the results that Hague and Howard couldn't"-Adam Sanderson
Is Cameron right for Conservatism?




9 Comments:
I agree with everything you say, and i think its also a key factor that he has William Hague in his cabinet also. Now the Conservative cabinet has a youthful politician and an honest politician.
Well, they say a leopard never changes its spots and, as you rightly imply, neither will the Tory party. Which is why I trust them just about as far as I can throw them.
Just as i thought, Another Cameron-phobe...fearing the decline of the Labour party because of Camerons public appeal.
Been to ConservativeHome.com? Interesting blog with lots of "knowledgable" and opinionated people.
Looking briefly back at your blog (it has gone midnight) I see you were against the EU constitution. I'll keep this brief, as I'm tired - but that was a mistake in hindsight. The Conservative party should have been for the Constitution, because it didn't actually add anything extra to what the EU already gives us - however, the Constitution did create a mechanism whereby we could leave the EU much more easily if we chose so.
"He is tactically moving the Conservatives to the centre ground to gain support from both Labour and Liberal voters, and once he's done that, he will bring the country (and the Conservative party) back to a right-wing frame of mind, allowing himself to govern the country under the policies that the Conservatives once stood for. After all, its not difficult to see that Cameron is still a traditional Conservative at heart."
So you're saying that Cameron is lying to the public about what a Conservative government would do if elected? And you have no problems with this? I mean, this is what I think as a anti-tory, but it's good to hear even Conservative activists saying this. It's good to know that you believe in democracy and really respect the public that you would ideally choose to govern.
Please correct me if i'm wrong...but has Cameron ever said to the public: "The moment im elected, i will go back on everything i've said, and you will all see me as a liar"?
What I am saying (which you have clearly mis-understood) is that Cameron is shifting the Conservatives to the centre ground to appeal to the public vote. When elected...he will then (gradually) introduce more and more traditional Conservative policies, just like when the same situation occured in the 1950/1960's. I am certain this will happen, because like i said; the political field is changing all the time...one decade, it could be favourable for moderate left wing policies (like now), the next it could be favourable for right-wing policies. So whether Cameron voluntarily introduces right-wing policies or not...he will have to some time because the political field will eventually force him to do so.
Im not saying that Cameron is a liar, but i am saying that he is playing a very clever game to get the Tories back on top.
I wish that politicians would forget about "moving to the centre ground", wherever that is. Instead of following focus groups and opinion, how about leading. Give us a vision of the future, not some 3rd way blandishments that aim to please everyone but achieve nothing.
I don't care if the Conservatives win, if they're just going to implement a bunch of Labour-ish policies.
Any Conservatives who think they can use this as a trojan horse should look at Labour. They spent so long trying to look reputable that they managed almost nothing in terms of reversing the market reforms of Thatcher. Now, the left are getting impatient, but by the time they kick Blair our, the public will be fed up with Labour and wanting change.
The danger is that the Cameron government will be as timid as the Labour government has been. Instead of reforming schools and hospitals, he's defending the state monopolies. If you want genuine reform, don't believe that there's a way to get this through a "trojan horse".
I dont share your enthusiasm for David Cameron at all. Like many British women of a certain age I grow tired of men in positions of power who seek to impress me by showing the wettest of so called female emotions. I dont like men who grieve for Africa, weep for criminals and make a mess of dish washing on web cams to make me feel indulgent. There is a time for these diversions and its not when we face a security threat of Biblical proportions.
Europe has woken up to this threat by an organised and fanatical political movement which threatens the stability and the security of the United Kingdom.
Blairs ill judged war in the Middle east has hastened if not entirely caused the situation we find ourselves in.
New Labour is increasingly threatened and on the defensive, rushing in new laws to curtail freedom of speech in an attempt to silence critics. The press and BBC are complicit in this.
The country has never needed strong leadership or protection more, yet David poses on ice flows pontificating on climate change.
The climate is changing rapidly in Britain and in Europe, but David hasn't noticed. While I await the emergence of a charismatic leader in the Conservative Party I shall be voting for the BNP to send a clear description of the kind of politics I wish to see. I will not be using the no doubt State sponsored safety valve of UKIP.
This is very interesting site... Buy detector radar xxasdf cellulite cream bankruptcy taxes penalties 401k loan post petition debt evista art pro
Post a Comment
<< Home