Sunday, March 05, 2006

10p/min to call 999!

No...its not a mistake with the title....the government are actually thinking of introducing this idea across the nation within a few years.
First hearing of this whilst driving down the A449, I couldn't believe what Radio 1 news were saying! From an official government report, ministers are now thinking of charging 10p per minute when you dial 999, so as to stop Britains 3000 prank calls to the emergency services each day.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that this scheme is an absolutely ridiculous idea? Fair enough that prank calls are a huge inconvenience to the emergency services...but the majority of people who dial 999 are actually people in need of genuine emergency assistance...why should they be forced to pay just because a few minority "rebels" feel it is entertaining to dial 999 as a cheap prank?
Not to mention, many emergency calls are made outside the household on mobile phones. What if someone in desperate need of medical assistance needs to dial 999, but finds himself with no credit on his phone?
To me, this is nothing more but yet another scam by Blairs ministers to compensate for the huge debt that they have put the UK into. Of course, i would still against further tax increases as a substitute (considering we've had over 80 since 1997)...but where do they find the common sense in charging for emergency service calls? Yet again, this just goes to show how out of touch New Labour is with our society.


Is it fair that the general public should pay 10p/min to call for basic emergency assistance?

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

James I hae set up the blog so that all I have to do is write, but I will try and link you in when I next alter the text. Hoe you are well regards David

3:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you cant deny that 10p per minute calls would deter pranks being made on emergency services around the country

4:34 pm  
Blogger James.R.Skinner said...

I can't deny that, you are indeed right to say that...but can you honestly say that its fair for the rest of the country to pay the price, just because a few youths find it funny to prank 999?

4:43 pm  
Blogger korova said...

it's actually 10p per min to dial a new alternative line which is 101, NOT 999. Not only that, but one of the councils that are trialling this initiative is run by the Tories. So maybe it's not just Blair we should moan about on this one.

7:30 pm  
Blogger James.R.Skinner said...

I would most like to hear your evidence for such allegations because after speaking to numerous Conservative members (some of whom are MP's), they are fully against this idea of charging calls to emergency services.

7:34 pm  
Blogger korova said...

Well, let's put it this way, I don't get my news from Radio 1!!

10:49 pm  
Blogger James.R.Skinner said...

Neither do I. I got this from an official government report, and you have still failed to answer my question.

4:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Karova has lost this argument some how...

10:50 am  
Blogger korova said...

I notice you have not corrected your assertion that it is the 999 service that costs 10p per min. As for my source, Hampshire County Council.

12:02 pm  
Blogger James.R.Skinner said...

You obviously dont understand the meaning of evidence...you could have quite easily said it came from Newport County Council...what evidence do you have (ie:quotes, statements, e.t.c)?

4:27 pm  
Blogger korova said...

Your questioning of my evidence is interesting bearing in mind your 'evidence'that 999 calls will be charged at 10p per min. Re-read my post:

it's actually 10p per min to dial a new alternative line which is 101, NOT 999. Not only that, but one of the councils that are trialling this initiative is run by the Tories. So maybe it's not just Blair we should moan about on this one.

Hampshire County Council is one of those councils (a very strongly held Tory council). Why was it chosen by the government?? Because it had great success with a similar scheme there where the charge was 8p per min. That scheme was a partnership between the Tory run council and the Local Police Authority. It's all in the minutes for the council meeting regarding this issue.

Incidentally, I resent the fact that I am having to defend a right-wing authoritarian regime against a right-wing blogger. Something I am not entirely comfortable with and I have no intention of defending the government again. So keep up the good work attacking this government and speaking so eloquently on these issues.

10:54 pm  
Blogger James.R.Skinner said...

I recognise your point, but im certain that a government report claimed it was charging 999 calls, not alternative lines (ie: 101). I think we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.

10:43 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've asked around and nobody seems to be aware of charges for 999 calls. Have you any other sources?

3:24 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

Actually Korova is right on this one. If anyone wants to do a bit of research you could try-
http://snen.homeoffice.gov.uk/faqs/general/
which gives some info on the line they will be charging for calls on (Single Non- Emergency Number). 999 calls will still be free for emergencies.
There is also an article on the BBC news website at-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4384376.stm
Hope that helps.

3:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe this or not, but i also heard that the government was going to start charging for 999 calls next year (not 101 calls)...but the better question is...doesnt this just show that the government is in such a black hole that it now has to start charging for emergency service calls, just to fund its over expenditure and £51 billion debt?

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site design shirt logo ford dealer Auto accessories2c 2004 mitsubishi lancer es home insurance lenehan law offices canada border radar detector Milfs bangbros 1998 mazda protege fuse box diagram What is the best iron water filter Hoyle slots cheat Mesothelioma settlement lawsuit cancer11 chair cover find i plastic seat

12:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © James.R.Skinner, 2006