Private Education - Advantage or Hinderance?
British people have always thought of private education as a head-start for students in life. A chance for them to recieve an education higher than that available on the merit economy; but is it really a helping hand, or a hinderance to us students in the UK?Being an Independant school student myself, I have nothing against those choosing private or state education. In theory, both are supposed to be substantial in maintaining the educational standards of Britain. However, since this Labour government came into power in 1997, it appears that more and more independant school students are facing discrimination because of their comparative "advantage" over those in state schools. By setting universities with targets to accept a certain number of state school students, privately educated students have suffered, with numerous cases occuring, where A grade students have been rejected by all their chosen universities (especially those of Bristol, Birmingham, Reading and Sussex). How can this government allow this sort of discrimination to occur. After all, didn't Tony Blair attend a grammer school, and later move on to achieve his degree from Cambridge? Why is it, that those who choose to have an advantage in life, are brought straight back down by government discriminatory targets? I have always agreed in every child/student having an equal chance to learn and work hard for their education, but this government is clearly going about this the wrong way. Considering this government has gone the extra mile to eliminate discrimination from our society, I expected better of them in the face of education. As a Conservative, I believe it is not fair that those who choose private education should face the burden of government targets. Universities should carry out their application methods like they did before 1997, and accept people on their ability to learn, work, and achieve a succesful carreer, no matter what school they attended. They shouldn't have to be pressurised unfairly in meeting government targets. Every student has an equal chance to fulfill their ambitions, and this government needs to realise this before university targets cause mass chaos amongst our educational system.
Is private Education under attack from Labour's social engineering?
Is private Education under attack from Labour's social engineering?




14 Comments:
This site is tipped to be the new BBC
James, could I ask what you view on Michael Bowden is?
Pro discrimination is such bull****, if you can't pay to get help with your grades, then help yourself if you really want them, there are all sorts of state schools which are bloody good that intelligent people can get into, obviously if you're a state school student, and do worse in your exams, you're just lazy, almost more lazy than a private school person who does the same.
Pro discrimination, almost as stupid as dyslexic people getting extra time.
Ironic that the pro free-speech left are telling a right winger to "keep them (in referance to his beliefs) to yourself anyway." ?
My opinion on the matter. Parents work hard, want me to have a good education, and not get stabbed in school, then why shouldn't they spend whats left of their money after ridiculously high taxes on it ??
The left are "selfless" to the point of greed.
Lets be honest, your views are hardly feasable. Your just a racist in disguise. Your comments about Leceister although not defined as racist are sickeningly slurry, especially for someone who is supposed to be a representative of such a reputable party and indeed of British democracy. I'd watch what you say if I was you, express those kinds of hardline right wing views on your own space if you must, definitely not on something official looking as this.
And to be perfectly honest, you should keep them to yourself anyway.
Well John, you call me racist, I call myself a REALIST. If you prefere to hide behind the truth of immigration, then go on ahead, but in case you dont know, I (just as Enoch Powell did), have a right to express our views on such a matter...and in your case, the old saying comes to mind:
"Everybody likes freedom of speech until you use freedom of speech".
You totally miss the point, I stated clearly that if you wanted to express these views you were very much entitled to, though personally I think they are out of place in modern society; what disgusts me is the way you try and sell it off as Conservative future. I'd be very much surprised if you denied your views are further right than the current opposition's, by whatever margin. If this is conservative future, God help Britain.
Well thankyou John, I actually appreciate you allowing me freedom of speech this time considering your last comment claimed I should "watch what you say if I was you, express those kinds of hardline right wing views on your own space if you must, definitely not on something official looking as this". However, as much as you disagree with my Conservative opinions, I still feel very strongly about these two issues (asylum and Europe). I feel that it is in the best interest of the country that we start repairing our own nation (with MRSA, uncontrolled immigration, inflationary pressure, e.t.c) before we start involving ourselves with external affairs such as Europe.
can you put some photos on the site
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.
Private education? A "hinderance"? Well perhaps, if it can't even teach you to support a descent political party...
Also, is the government not capable of handling two things at once? "I feel that it is in the best interest of the country that we start repairing our own nation (with MRSA, uncontrolled immigration, inflationary pressure, e.t.c) before we start involving ourselves with external affairs such as Europe." So what are you saying, we should just seal all the borders, cut all the telephone lines and ignore any outside contact until we've learned to clean a hospital properly? Deary me you are a misguided person...
The only thing I see misguided here is your literature interpretations. What I am saying is that it is no good getting involved in European affairs (such as the constitution), when we already have too many problems of our own, such as MRSA and mass immigration). If you feel cutting telephone wires is a suitable approach, suit yourself...but that is certainly not what I am implying Britain should do.
I have nothing against those choosing private or state education
1. Most people don't get any choice.
didn't Tony Blair attend a grammer school, and later move on to achieve his degree from Cambridge?
2. Judging from your spelling your private education was not so great - and Tony Blair went to private school followed by Oxford. Not a grammar school and then Cambridge.
Why is it, that those who choose to have an advantage in life, are brought straight back down by government discriminatory targets?
3. Like I say, not many people have the choice to make. But I agree with the sentiment regarding choice, responsibility and individual liberty.
Considering this government has gone the extra mile to eliminate discrimination from our society...
4. Ummm... How do you figure that?
As a Conservative, I believe it is not fair that those who choose private education should face the burden of government targets. Universities should carry out their application methods like they did before 1997
5. Ummm... No. What you should believe is that education should be privatised, together with higher education.
Every student has an equal chance to fulfill their ambitions
6. Do you really believe that?
this government needs to realise this before university targets cause mass chaos amongst our educational system.
7. Did I miss something? Our educational system is already in "mass chaos".
Interesting Article. Only concern is that any attempt to change the education system into an academic meritocracy (Douglas Murray was arguing for academic elitism in university a few weeks ago) would push heavily in the direction of the private schools. One thing I do know from seeing my parents mark candidates' exam scripts is that the private sector gives everyone a huge advantage in terms of the use of language (which is how you get by). And in reply to alexander, helping yourself with topics you don't understand only works up to a point- if you really want to do well then being well tutored is a must.
Post a Comment
<< Home